Sunday, May 22, 2011

Bus ride from hell

Have you ever caught a bus not knowing where you're going and not knowing the language? 

Helena sets off on her push bike determined to make it to the Porto Post Office and then realised quite quickly  that when the lady at park said " it was a long way" - it really was a long way!!.

Solution? Park the bike and jump on a bus which appears to be going the right way. Anxiousness sets in when you suddenly realise that you don't know where the bus is actually going and can only hope it's heading in the right direction.

All was experienced in this ride.

At one of the early stops an elderly gentleman staggers down the aisle, launches into the seat behind me and starts to sniff my hair !!!!!  My hair for goodness sake. I thought it looked alright, it was clean - what was he doing? Didn't his wife have any hair? Moving quickly forward, soon realised that I needed to talk to someone who could understand a little English. Scanning the bus I decided that a youngish mother and her daughter were my best chances so settled down near them and asked. What? English? No. So hearing this, I then asked all at the back of the bus if anyone could understand English. A tentative hand rose in the air and a young man then explained what the Spanish word for Post Office was, and where I needed to get off.

That sorted, I then headed off to the Post Office and faced the daunting task of selecting a number?? So approached the best looking guy I could see and asked nicely what it all meant. He was only too happy to oblige. I took two tickets - one for each counter to hedge my bets. Viola !! job for Traci done and on it's way to the UK in minutes the guy at the counter told me and who was I to argue?

Now - catching the bus home!! Caught the attention of one driver and in broken English he explained the basics and then I found the ride home wasn't much better than the ride into the city. First of all - the lady behind me was trying to squash a butterfly moving around her window. On hearing this - I turned around and gently caught it in my hand and let it fly outside to much cheer from the other travellers. I then sensed some movement in my right pocket - someone was trying to help themselves to MY STUFF. No Way she says !!!! Quick elbow and a move sorted this out. The Bus Driver then had a alteraction with anoher driver - neither wanting to give way and as I watched it seemed like most of the passengers decided to check it out themselves - a chorus of gaggling etc.......Amazing to watch human behaviour.

Still trying to find a place to get off - I spotted the street where my bike was parked, thought I saw my bike  and was able to get off without too many problems.

Is there a lesson in this?

- If unsure, smile and ask

- Be grateful when you see the home base 

Helena - 6-5-11







.





   

No comments:

Post a Comment